CRISPY SMASHED POTATOES WITH GARLIC PESTO
Author: Minimalist Baker
Recipe type: Side, Appetizer
Cuisine: Vegan, Gluten-Free
- 1 1/2 pounds (24 ounces) baby gold/yellow potatoes
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 ml) olive oil (or sub other neutral oil)
- Healthy pinch each sea salt & black pepper (~1/2 tsp)
- 2 heaping cups (~130 g) loosely packed fresh basil (large stems removed)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped (~1 Tbsp or 6 g)
- 3 Tbsp (23 g) raw pine nuts or walnuts (for nut allergies, omit)
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 Tbsp (5 g) nutritional yeast*
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45 ml) extra virgin olive oil (or sub other neutral oil)
- Healthy pinch each sea salt & black pepper
- Add rinsed potatoes to a large pot and cover with water until just submerged. Bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce to medium-high heat to achieve a low boil. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until tender and a knife easily slides in and out.
- In the meantime, prepare pesto by adding basil, garlic, nuts, lemon juice, and nutritional yeast to a food processor and blending to combine. Stream in 2-3 Tbsp olive oil a little at at time until a thick paste is formed. If trying to reduce fat, thin the sauce with water instead of additional oil. I like adding a little water to mine to make it more of a pourable sauce, but this is optional.
- Taste and adjust flavor as needed, adding more lemon juice for acidity, nutritional yeast for cheesy flavor, salt and pepper for overall flavor, or garlic for zing/bite. Transfer to a small serving dish and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (232 C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. When the potatoes are soft and tender, place on the baking sheet and smash down with the bottom of a saucepan. For any larger potatoes, cut in half and then smash so they are still “bite size.”
- Drizzle the potatoes with 1 1/2 Tbsp oil and season with a healthy pinch each salt and pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes or until crispy and golden brown.
- To serve, spoon the pesto over the potatoes (you will have leftovers). Garnish with chopped basil or parsley and additional pine nuts (optional).
- Best when fresh. Store leftovers separately in the refrigerator. Potatoes will keep for 3-4 days. Pesto will keep for about 1 week (see notes for uses for leftovers). Reheat in a 350-degree oven until hot, then top with any leftover pesto.
Courtesy of Minimalist Baker